11.14.2012

DIY: Adding Leather Cuffs to Your Jacket!


So I recently bought this great, light-weight jacket from H&M (1/2 off + 30%off!!!), so definitely a steal!  Once I tried on the jacket, it was the perfect fit but as usual, being 5'9" my arms are *very* long (am I the only one??), and the sleeves of the jacket were about 2 inches too short.  I instantly thought DIY and quickly sewed some great faux leather cuffs on to elongate the sleeves and now they are perfect!  See below on how to to this easy DIY!

Supplies Needed:
  1. sewing machine/needle and thread
  2. fabric (faux leather, suede, fur)
  3. jacket
  4. measuring tape
  5. pins
Before...
1. Measure your leather/fabric (whatever you're using) to the armholes in the jacket leaving about 1 inch to work with
2. Turn jacket inside out. You can see I had already finished one cuff
3. Attach the leather to the bottom of the jacket sleeve by using pins. Make sure it is straight!
4. Pin all the way around. As you can see, once I got to the seam, I stopped and after sewing the cuff to the sleeve, you can then sew the side seam.
5. Start sewing! Sew all the way around the cuff either by hand or machine. Don't forget to backstitch!
6. I used thread that matched the jacket but you can always use another color to add contrast!
7. I used an angle cut to give it a more modern look instead of the plain straight edge. Give it a try!
Finished jacket!! Don't mind my hair....and yes, the belt came with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment